I'm new to this internet posting stuff, so please forgive any overreaches in etiquette.

A couple of points. There seems to be some concern as to making these (f-12's) too dangerous. I'm not convinced that this is a real concern. We are talking 12 to 16 year olds here. Has anyone gone and watched 12 year olds racing 80 cc dirt bikes? Karts? Mountain bikes? Sailing is way, way safer. By the time they are 16 they are off the charts. The boats should scare 12 year olds ( a little, somtimes) and by the time they are 16 yrs old they should be a little bored, and be ready for something a little (lot?) quicker/scarier. It seems to me that any of the designs being batted around the site should accomplish this.

The other concern/focus in many ways appears to center on the SMOD vs OD vs very simple formula debate. This seems a tough nut to crack. In my experience in other sports, I tend to support simpler rules that allow more experimentation. The concerns are of course (though this is of concern in all the formulas, just to a lesser or greater extent) the risk of an "arms race" leading to higher and higher costs. Has anyone mentioned yet using a "claimer" rule to help stop this behavior.

For those not familiar with the concept. A "claimer" rule (these go by different names) works basically as follows. F12 boats should cost under 3000 Euros. Basically, any competitor can buy anyone else's boat at an event for a nominally higher fee. Say 3500 Euros. What sort of fool will spend 4000 Euros extra on his kids carbon hulls, when dad #2 can buy his "overvalued" F12 "special" for 3500 euros.

This works remarkably well in all sorts of motorsports where cheating is endemic. You see it especially in kids stock car racing where, for example, cars are supposed to cost less than $500. They have a $1000 claim rule. Everybody "runs what they brung", and costs stay relatively low.

I think a claimer rule would also help in SMOD and OD classes, as it would help limit the super-richies from upping the ante all the time.

This is further supported because (from what I have been able to read, anyhow) trying to spend money on the boat to make the thing faster is not nearly as effective as learning how to sail better. If your super expensive F12 special is just going to get claimed away, you might as well sail it stock, and learn to sail better.

Just a few thoughts.

Love the concept of F12 for the kids. I live in a place where there is no sailboat racing, and not that much recreational sailing (lots of power and PWC's though...). I might build one of these things for the kid though. I like the low cost, and the idea that they still go fast enough to get em excited with sail as opposed to power.

thanks