Originally Posted by pilgrim
Hi Wayne,
I do have a band of carbon cloth 100mm wide the length of the bottom and I plan to cover the whole hull with lightweight glass cloth. I have to get rid of some bubbles first... will cut an X shaped incision with my Dremel cutoff disc, fill with epoxy and put them back with a carbon cloth patch over it. Next time I will do the cloth in parts instead of one big 5m x 1.5m piece for the whole hull - I was too ambitious for a solo effort.

I do like the way your rudders are out back so you have good leverage on the tiller arms. I've been thinking how to do that with carbon rods and I might do something similiar.

Shane

Shane, using carbon as you intend can cause more problems than solve, a 100mm additional band without other layers transfering the load to the single layer, will cause such a hard edge between the layers that it will almost certainly crack the inner layer of the two. Always use carbon for stiffening and glass to transfer the loads + act as wear layer.

Everyone seems to think Carbon is the great thing to use, it very often is the wrong material and should be used with caution. An all carbon boat will weigh marginally less ( probably only 3 -4 kilos to a well built glass boat ( and how many of us are not 3 -4 kilos over weight ), cost 3 times more than glass, most certainly will be far less duriable and twice as hard to repair when you ding it.