the mast base WAS just a bare carbon tube on the earlier boats but there now seems to be a black nylon plug in the mast base there, also nylon plugs on the prodder tube where before there were none

also new are large hatches on the bulkhead just behind the mast. inside you can see that the deck area directly under the mast base is supported by thick honeycomb bulkhead

the amas are a solid glass layup,the hull has a thick honeycomb core and the deck a thinner foam core

the tramp lacing material has recently been upgraded from a slightly stretchy line to a amsteel type line, so less mucking about with the tramp tightening blocks is needed after setup

downhaul, at least on mine, is operable with 1 hand from either side of the mast

performance/thrills wise my weta is no match for my nacra 5.2, but then very few boats are...

however it packs a very big punch for a 14' that has the space and the power to sail 1, 2 or 3 up and i find it a more maneuverable, smaller, more relaxing sail than the nacra

bonus that it packs away and trailers so well too

eric e
1982 nacra 5.2 - 2158
2009 weta tri - 294