Originally Posted by JeffS
G'day Erice our one is 2 months old now so I'll enquire about the mast foot, we have the big hatch in the front.

just been out to the frozen backyard and taken a pic of the mast foot of #294, if your mast base doesn't have the nylon base cap, find out why not

Our downhaul arrangement might be different, we have two little V cleats on the decks about 2 feet apart that you have to pull the sheet level with the deck whereas a single swiveling cam cleat would allow us to adjust the downhaul as needed from anywhere on the boat.

that's the same as i have, i seem to remember that it only takes me 1 hand to uncleat/cleat...

When you sail solo if you are in a decent breeze with the three sails up do you have to go forward and adjust your downhaul?

compared to my 1982 nacra the weta downhaul is a huge advance, but i'll give you that it isn't up there with the $100+units available as standard on many top cats. but then you get other things like the alloy custom beach dolly thrown in that you don't get with other multi's...the mast on the weta strikes me as being VERY flexible so i haven't really been trying to muck about with the downhaul that much. if it's looking like a big wind day i haul down on the jib and gennaker halyards so much that the mast tip bends forward, (as per the manual), doesn't seem like such a good idea then to wail on the downhaul every beat as well...

Our tramps have open pulleys (which look like they’ve been put on the wrong way) and V cleats to hold it that don't line up with the direction the tramp is pulling it,

that's got me puzzled too, i was thinking of using this winter to remove 1 screw, change the block angle slightly and then drilling a new hole...but decided i would sail another year 1st and see what others were doing 1st

I think it's designed so you don’t have to untie the knot to take the amas off but when they come a bit loose they come off the pulley.

i'm finding that weta likes things to be tensioned just right and it takes a while to work out how tight for each item, ie the amas are held into the boat by those tramp line cleats and blocks. they need to be really tight, so tight they don't come loose. my tramps were laced to the beam frame with a cross stitch, too saggy for me so i've re-laced them with a ladder stitch, pics on the yahoo group site...you also mention tension issues with the gennaker, that needs to be tightened just right and AFTER the jib has been tightened with a loop to make a trucker's hitch for extra purchase, and the forestay needs to be tight enough to lift the amas in their hull sockets

The jib and gennaker halyards tie off to big 5 inch cleats so I have to pull hard and tie off then roll up the halyards which are held about 3ft up the mast by velcro, the jib brushes past this lump every time it flaps, it's also time consuming and impossible to adjust on the water so I sail the boat for a while then take it to the beach and tighten, all it needs is 3 swiveling cam cleats at the mast base so you thread the 2 halyards and downhaul through them, easy to adjust easy to set and pack up.

if it's for disability sailing and not 1 design racing, go for broken changing stuff, i think they just had to draw the line somewhere with the equipment level, the weta is basically a hand built boat and must be a monster in terms of construction hours

Attached Files
DSC_1828.JPG (321 downloads)

eric e
1982 nacra 5.2 - 2158
2009 weta tri - 294