Jake

In regards to pole length, the problem is in how the classes are spec'ing pole length.

In simple terms, Tornado's and 6.0's have long bows so spec'ing the pole 80 cm in front of the bow gives you a long pole. F16 have a 4 ft shorter bows so you end up with a shorter pole. On a Wave you would end up with 4-5 ft pole, if you did this.

I tested pole length on a Wave and found you were into diminishing returns at 50% hoist length

The pole length is dependent on hoist height. If you have a one design class like the Tornado, you know hoist height, so you can spec a pole that works with the sails you tried

One of the reasons Tornado spec'ed like this is it can be enforced and it probably eliminates some of the really weird ideas without going into a detailed explanation of how to measure the pole. For example, if the rules said "the tack can be no more than 12 ft from the crossbeam when measured on the beach." I might try bending the pole so that it was 12 ft and nearly touching the water at rest but extended to 14 ft under load. Historically, with Tornados, unless you say you can't do it, somebody will probably try.

For boats like the F16 where there could be wide variations in optimum hoist height, I think the rule is too restrictive. It indirectly restricts sails, mast height, and mast placement. For example if I wanted to push the front crossbeam forward for some reason, I could have some real problems

Personally I feel bad idea's have their own penalties, I would open it up and keep my camera handy for the guy who tries to use his spare mast as a spin pole.

Also Bill is very right in one respect. I learned a lot about this in designing my own boat from scratch and knowing I was committing my own money and time to my theories. There is nothing like knowing you are committing your time and money to make you conservative.