>>In simple terms, Tornado's and 6.0's have long bows so spec'ing the pole 80 cm in front of the bow gives you a long pole. F16 have a 4 ft shorter bows so you end up with a shorter pole.

This is wrong. The F16 rules specify that the pole can be 3.50 mtr measured along the pole. No 80 cm past bow or anything. And your explanation is of as well. Sure the pole is shorter in a F16 than on a say a F18 BUT its hoist height os proportionally smaller as well and the also the area is (proportionally)^2 smaller as well.

The F16 spi setup is actually the same as taking a picture from a F18 setup and then photoshop it to x % size. Therefor the lifting and pitching moments have exactly the same effect.

You guys are looking at boat design like a person that thinks only coins are money. Exchange the coins for a banknoted and this person think he has lost money.

THAT is cherry picking boatdesign.

>>The pole length is dependent on hoist height. If you have a one design class like the Tornado, you know hoist height, so you can spec a pole that works with the sails you tried

What is the difference to the F16 rules ? You know the hoist height here as well and just as the tornado the pole length is given.

>>One of the reasons Tornado spec'ed like this is it can be enforced and it probably eliminates some of the really weird ideas without going into a detailed explanation of how to measure the pole.

Yep that is why we, the F16 class, do it in the same way.

>>For boats like the F16 where there could be wide variations in optimum hoist height,

HUH !? Did you read the rules at all ? From the beginning the Hoist height of the spi is 7.5 mtr. above mainbeam.

>>It indirectly restricts sails, mast height, and mast placement. For example if I wanted to push the front crossbeam forward for some reason, I could have some real problems.

Sorry ? But now you go from bad to worse. Mast height is 8.5 mtr max + max 0.075 mtr for the crane. Mast placement ? Absolutely NOT ruled upon. You can even put the forebeam behind the rearbeam if you want to. This is really complete nonsense you're are writing up.

The only thing that ruled upon in a varying way are the sailarea of the jib and that of the mainsail. It allows some differences in area and lufflength so that the net power remains the same. So here you are right, but how does this qualify as "too restrictive ?" . Isn't that a bit meaningless when ALL other classes except A-cat are more restricted in this ?

>>Personally I feel bad idea's have their own penalties, I would open it up and keep my camera handy for the guy who tries to use his spare mast as a spin pole.

And you would also by one of these boats ?

>>Also Bill is very right in one respect. I learned a lot about this in designing my own boat from scratch and knowing I was committing my own money and time to my theories. There is nothing like knowing you are committing your time and money to make you conservative.

And Bill is the only one having done so since 1978 ?

Really !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands