Hi Sam,
All SCs were sold without spinnakers. That was before 1992, 1978 through 1991. In 1992 the product name was changed to ARC products and spinnakers and self tacking jibs etc became an option or standard on all products, the 22, the 27 and the 30. See the Aquarius-Sail.com web site for this information. These products were/are designed with spinnakers.
>I'm sorry I forgot, the 22 also has the CB trunk located right behind the main beam to prevent lee helm with spinnaker up.
>I am saying that moving the CB forward is a better way to trim a boat out with spinnaker than raking the mast back which leaves the rudder overloaded and the CB underloaded sailing to windward without spinnaker. The boat will sail to windward like this but the induced drag from the CB and rudder is greater than it could be. The boat is out of trim sloop rigged.
>A boat with centrboards moved forward to accomodate the forward migration of sail center of effort due to the spinnaker and downsized boards to match the smaller side load they now are expozed to in this new forward location and upsized rudders to match the new increased side load they are exposed to due to the forward located centerboard HAS THE SAME CENTER OF LATERAL RESISTANCE as the boats original CB/rudder arrangement. The advantages here are: 1) that the centerboard is so far forward that the sail CE with spinnaker up cannot get in front of the centerboard and cause lee helm. 2) With spinnaker down the centerboard and rudder are sized to match the loads they are exposed to and this results in minimum induced drag from the CB and rudder, a faster boat to windward.
> At the recent Tradewinds Regatta I sailed an ARC 17 against several other boats for my first time in 25 years. We sailed poorly, went three times around the long course when I should have sailed two times around the short course, in the first heat. Then on Sunday my crew, who had never sailed on the boat or with a spinaker before, thought we shouldn't try the spinnaker in the 20 knot winds so we didn't. We still won the open class on corrected time and did finish a couple of heats first boat across the finish line. Our assigned PN was 70.2. That number is coming down as a data base is developed for the ARC 17 with spinnaker.
Good Sailing, Sam,
Bill