All boats are a compromise…The SC/ARC 17 is just one of those rare breads that walk the razors edge with uncanny finesse…Yes there are faster boats, yes there are other well built boats, Yes there are many other board less boats around, yes there are other easy to sail boats out there…but no one to my knowledge has combined this level of performance, very forgiving sailing characteristics, complete flexibility of solo/double/W/WO spinnaker with a board less design.

I have never sailed the ARC 17 but I did own a SC 17 for a number of years (and I just bought another one). Unless you have sailed this boat you don’t have a clue…It makes sailing…and sailing fast….soooo easy.

The vast majority of cat sailors are not racers. For the people who just want to go out for an afternoon and enjoy the water….going fast with their spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend/son/daughter….this is “The Boat”…near bomb proof construction…no dagger boards to spit open your hull if you run up on a sandbar…easy to launch through the surf…eats up rough water like candy…easy to right…holds a lot more crew weight than most it’s size…no pitch polls! If you find over complicating things enjoyable, then this is not your boat…if tweaking an endless number variables is what you are all about, then look else where.

As far as SC/ARC avoiding competition…you must be joking right?…the SC 17 has been out since at least 1981 that I know of…maybe even longer…how long has the formula boat classes been out? F-16?…F18?….F18HT?…F20?…(I think the Formula idea is great, just don’t accuse an established boat of being elusive of competition)

Why did everyone hop over the 17’ boats (SC 17, Hobie 17, Inter 17) and start new classes? Instead of making a F-17 class?…With all due respect, the SC 17 was in production when some of its current critics were in grade school or maybe even in diapers…

It was a great boat when it was conceived, and 23-24 years latter it is still the benchmark for board less beach cats. If it’s not… then why is everyone (except it’s owners) complaining that the boat is so much faster than it’s assigned PN…

In fact that seems to be the same complaint about the SC 20 Bill raced a few weeks ago…Make up your mind…either the SC/ARC designs are unfairly fast, or Mr. Roberts design concepts are “smoke and mirrors”…you can’t have it both ways!

Bob