Originally Posted by David Ingram
Tad summed it up pretty well. You guys are asking for professional PR coverage for the cost of hotel room and maybe a meal or two which is simply unrealistic. Even back in the day during the peak the coverage was only so so, in my opinion.

The race was well run and the organizers priority was the sailors and in my opinion that is exactly where it's supposed to be. At the end of the day it's those that sail the event that promote the event and get sailors to the beach. Those sitting at their computers constantly complaining about being under served are being counter productive. Yes proper coverage would be nice but its not even remotely a reason why I do this race and I think that goes for most if not all the teams. We are self funded so PR coverage isn't a priority for us and this thread didn't inspire much effort on my part to provide any kind of updates. Yes Todd I'm looking squarely at you!

Not at all. All I'm asking for is real time Facebook posts of who is crossing the finish line. Cheap , easy, and low tech.That's a minimum if you expect to grow as an event. Lisa Herendeen came pretty close and she was just having fun.
I am glad to see the R.O. are making it about the sailors.That's how it should be. There isn't a fortune to be made in it. I've done my own website updating and sponsor seeking, and to make it work for teams who aren't self funded a little bit of effort has to be exerted by the R.O. If not then they need to express that.Nobody expects the teams to do it. If distance racing is to survive much less thrive, these events can't be word of mouth and in a news vaccuum. I'm sure that's a little too big picture for you, Ding. When those MYC youth try to come back on their own and need some sponsor help,or anyone for that matter, what do you tell the potential sponsors,"Pay for my race". When teams like Dixie and others who are stoked to do their first big distance race don't see anything about a race like this ,how can they get turned on to it?
I think this year reinforces how much work Craig Van Eaton did in the past.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White