"My heroes are the people who gave their time all week so I could steer my boat for 350 miles through beautiful waters. The crews who did this race for the first time not knowing if they would finish, getting back on the boat after being pummeled by thunderstorms. The Mom who stood on the beach waiting for her husband and thirteen year old son to come in. These people have courage and commitment."

And THAT is the human interest side that needs to be presented to the overall public outside of this event. It doesn't even need to be sent out in real-time either... Leave the website open and post this stuff as the participants/crews get around to it. It's almost like free advertising for the 2017 edition.

What made R2K so interesting for me to follow (besides the novelty)? All the human interest/struggle/success/failure stories.

The finish list and trackers were great, but the stories are what compels us to consider trying our hand(s) at something like that.

I'd be happy to help using what little abilities I have if it were to take some of the burden off the RO so they can focus on what makes the event "amazing".

And to the other point, you are certainly correct that this site is more of a side-bar conversation that people were nice enough to contribute to (event narratives, random info, etc) when they had the opportunity.

Props to everyone who muscled through the event, on boats, on beaches, on computers...

Jay