View from the water…

Understandably it does swck to be in the dark about something you have a passion for. And it does seem like a simple thing just to get some basic information out. This bar will always be higher than the resources available. Damon did a great job of getting information out considering everything that goes on during the race. As many of you know the whole week gets to be a continuous event where getting food, sleep and being ready are the priorities. Sometimes it can be even more difficult for the ground crews than the sailors.

If some of you that cannot make it to the race can offer some tech services from home or office I’m sure it would only make things better. For example, during my cold beer reflection period after landing I was able to answer texts from friends. I would be happy to text a short report from our team to someone who could then post it. That would not work for everyone but it’s something. I would also need to be reminded to do that because my next beer and some food are my priority.

Something that needs to be understood, and you guys may not like this, but, the people on this board are not the target audience. You are not potential sponsors and most of you will never enter this race. Don’t get butt hurt, it’s the truth.

Dennis is a businessman, a successful one. His plans involve other business people with resources and an international target audience that will indeed expect more than what we are currently doing. The bar is being raised at a rate to which the resources and personal abilities can tolerate. There are conversations and plans going on behind the scenes that will bear fruit and because he is actually putting forth the effort, he needs your support. The hours and hours of drone video footage is a powerful tool and must be properly edited and presented for full impact. That opportunity is not lost, it’s being focused. So far, many of the comments from this board would damage the event’s reputation rather than foster and promote good will.

If catamaran sailors are to be known and respected as a community of sportsman, start acting like it and get behind those who are trying to create something. It may not be perfect but apparently it’s more than you’ve done lately. Again, don’t get butt hurt, think of this objectively and focus on the bigger picture.

If sponsors do peak at this thread, they need to see people saying, “great race how can I help”. No one will ever be interested in what you did five or ten years ago, but bringing that experience to the table to help other sailors and the event, you’d be a freaking hero.

My heroes are the people who gave their time all week so I could steer my boat for 350 miles through beautiful waters. The crews who did this race for the first time not knowing if they would finish, getting back on the boat after being pummeled by thunderstorms. The Mom who stood on the beach waiting for her husband and thirteen year old son to come in. These people have courage and commitment.

Comments have been made about safety and what the RC should be doing. They did exactly what they should do, set a course and lines to cross. The skipper and his crew are the only ones to decide when to sail based on their experience and skills. The safety gets increased by the sailors sharing their skills with each other. There was not one person on any team that would not be more then happy to explain how they deal with situations on the water. Especially dangerous situations like weather, or shallow water, or equipment failure. The wealth of knowledge on that beach cannot be bought or bargained for, but if you step up and join the fleet they will help you.

It was a great honor for me to have 2 teams tell me that things I said to them in the past helped them decide to enter the race. Before and during the race our team offered assistance, advise and support whenever it was asked for or needed. As a result we made new friends, friends made under those circumstances are high value.

The Florida 300 will run again next year, it will be bigger and better and the teams will be faster. The 3 MYC youth teams will probably return, they seemed to get bit with the bug and they’re very good at it. There will be more European teams that may need some ground crew help and local knowledge. Get involved, put your hard earned experience to use and help create something for our sport. It won’t be easy and it won’t be perfect, but it will be ours.

“Do something, lead, follow, or get out of the way”.

Dick Macdonald
Cirrus F18
Turtle Mojo