Originally Posted by samc99us
Thanks Todd for bringing some lively smack talk to this thread!

Jake, Tad, that was 2 years ago. Let it go. I will say I agree with you on the general lack of information available regarding the race, and lack of sailors reports. What I won't agree with is you bashing sailors reports with internet data from the wrong part of the course while sitting in your cozy office chairs sipping latte's and whatever other fruity drinks ya'll are drinking these days.

I talked to one of my buddies competing on a N20 this year (team My Dixie Wrecked), they had blast reaching conditions at the front of the fleet yesterday and were averaging 18-19kts down course. It was a fast day. The day before, they elected to beach and ride out the thunderstorms for 3 hours, then were becalmed for the rest of the day and didn't make it to the beach until 11pm. In retrospect, probably a wise choice given the carnage.

The F18 Infusion Mk. 2, Dutch Team (owner of big global Nacra onboard), apparently broke their rig when when a wave hit them while on the beach. Didn't get the full story there, but my buddy had his N20 flip while on the beach and they are lucky not to have broken the rig or do any damage to the sails. Team Tavernier is out as they don't have a spare F20C rig and I suspect couldn't source one or weren't going to pay what Kirk is asking for one. At least it appears they saved the parts, and carbon can be spliced together to good effect for at least a backup rig for next years race!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCB8kiOrwmOnzMNUKQfVDAw

Couple corrections to this:

1) Turns out the dutch team beached, then the boat sailed itself off the beach, flipped into the surf and that is where the mast failed. Also, it was the Nacra Holland parts dude onboard, not the owner of Nacra.

2)Team Tavernier had been sourced a replacement rig but had enough other issues to call it quits.

Quite the year of weather, really sounds like if you made it before the thunder hit you did well, otherwise you were hours behind.

Scorpion F18