Originally Posted by samc99us
+1 to both Todd and Tad here.

One of the issues the Florida 300 faces is the checkpoints are close. I think this is good for the teams in some ways, and helps bring new people in (I think the first leg is what the Tybee 500 first leg should have been, not the second longest leg of the entire race), but it makes the ground crew and media coverage work difficult at best. Most days I didn't have time to grab lunch while ground crewing for the inaugural Florida 300.

I'm glad the race committee is focused on the sailors, that is what they should be focused on. I think budget needs to be put aside for a dedicated media guy in future editions, that is what the A-cat fleet is doing and they are probably the largest growing fleet of high performance "beach" cats in the U.S at present.

From my observations, the A-class can spend as much $2,500 (may be sponsored) on a drone and media coverage for a weekend of racing. I find different feeling among competitors on wether that cost is worthwhile in entry fees.

I can see the FL 300 coverage as being pretty pricey to do it right. If its an event for the competitors, it may not be worthwhile.