Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Originally Posted by TeamChums
I suspect that under those rules all boats are at fault and they pay their own damages.

Did you chew on your lead painted crib when you were a baby?

What do you think his insurance company is going to do? They don't just pay off because you admit you are responsible...
What do you think they say when you don't admit fault?
They will investigate... but ... It's not an official race under the RRS. There is no protest committee report. There is no jury finding. You have some video with known problems of perspective in video data. They use the Col Regs to evaluate liability.

From the Supercat's company POV, they could look at the video and say the N20 came up and did not keep a proper lookout... so they tell the N20...you are 40% at fault (liable)... we pay 60% of the repair. You can then go to your insurance company and see if they will fight it out on your behalf ... So, you file a claim on your own insurance... But if they agree with the supercat insurance company... $$$ x 40% minus your deductible is the check we cut you.

The whole thing sucks... liability gets decided by the insurance companies...

The RRS requires responsibility on the part of the sailors... This is enforced by peer pressure and your integrity... When you don't have agreement on facts... It won't be pretty.

Best we can do is a set of rules and a fair process... this is why we use the RRS and WHY US Sailing matters to you... If you don't agree with the lynch mob/protest committee at your beach... you can appeal.

Too bad these options are not available for this fubar

mark,
When was the last time you filed for an insurance claim.
I had to go through one to get my boat repaired this Jan. and all it took was the at fault skipper's call to his insurance company and a quote from a repair shop for my boat repairs. Done.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White