Originally Posted by Mary
Back to Steeplechase again:
I can't understand what all the fuss is about. In the first place, this is a distance race, there is no surf involved, so in 27 years there has only been one other accidental collision between two boats, as far as I know.
In the second place, Skip will be paying for the damages to Todd's boat.
So what is the problem?

From the first (long) post on page 12…
Originally Posted by brucat

As for the rules debate; I totally understand that it is possible to run any race, anywhere, using any rules that you want. My question is, why would you? Most people racing at this event are used to racing under RRS, and when boat-on-boat situations arise, will probably expect the other boats to act accordingly.

Moreover, in this case, the event flyer says:
Originally Posted by 27th ANNUAL KEY LARGO STEEPLECHASE RACE Rules and Information

There is no Race Committee.

There is no Protest Committee, so please obey the racing rules (my emphasis) and rules of the road.

How is this intended to mean that the RRS do not apply? What other racing rules are you invoking?

RRS (unchanged) provides for protests. Sailors at this event are used to RRS, and your flyer "hints" at RRS.

What I still want to know is, how is it beneficial to the sailors to not have a protest committee?

Mike