Originally Posted by pgp
Tim, what is your average finish? Best finish? As a single hander.

Pete, that really depends on the competition, ie. which regatta are we talking about, and who else was there? I'm happy when I'm sailing Uni, if the only ones in front of me are Matt and Gina!

I sailed Uni at the Nationals a few years ago in Gulfport, I think we had 23 total boats, of which about...8-9 (?) were sailing Uni. My single race best finish was a 3rd, but that was in the final race, and a couple of the top Sloop teams and one or two Uni's were already on the beach, using that as their throw out.

Overall, I think I was in the middle of the fleet. I'd have to go back and look at the results, if I could find them, but Ed, Mike, John Mac were also sailing Uni and we were all neck and neck, most of the time, again, in the middle of the fleet, most of which were sloops.

I get more satisfaction out of beating a good sloop team, when I'm sailing Uni, than the other way round, because I know as Uni, I had to work harder to do it, and I had to do 'everything right'.

I would never expect to compete with the top Sloop teams, as a Uni, unless I got a really, really, lucky string of wind shifts that only came my way, but I'm ok with that, and as I've said in this thread many times, all the Uni guys I know are good with that too, thus the Rum bottle reward!

Blade F16