Wayne,

I think the issue with the Uni V's Sloop rating is based upon the theoretical performance of the two boats (like a calculated rating should be). The problem is that in the real world unless being raced by octipii you can't sail a cat rigged boat to the same level of its potential as a sloop rigged boat. The question is how close can you get? The VYC ratings in Australia are based upon decades of emperical data and suggest the cat rigged Taipan is 4% slower than the sloop rigged boats, I'm guessing with kites this would blow out a bit to 5 or 6%.

Now, if the calculationed ratings show (and I don't know if they do) that a cat rigged boat should be the same speed as a sloop then that means a crew of two can get about 5% more performance out of a boat and to get level racing you'll need to make a cat rigged boat theoretically 5% faster than the sloop, not the same. This way once crew skills are applied the two boats will in fact be equal. SCHRS or any other calculated rating (Texel) if at all accurate can be used to weigh up the options and see what cat exclusive rule change would produce that 5%.

Next question for those in the know (and I suspect I know the answer from another conversation) does the SCHRS equation really rate cat and sloop at the same speed or are they rated that way because the F16 class has asked them to be?