Well...I just spent 5 hours in Sarasota Bay getting my butt handed to me buy a bunch of kids. I was sailing Uni, the only Uni there, all the rest were sloops. Two little girls on a new Falcon drove over me going upwind!

BUT...those two together didn't weigh what I way alone (about 200 all up), and they had their jib on, which I would have LOVED to have had out there, in the light air and slop, with occaisional puffs of medium wind (0-8, mostly 5, at most), but LOTS of big motor boat chop.

There is nothing worse than sitting in a hole going upwind getting tossed about by the many cris-crossing motorboat wakes, like being in a washing machine. And without a jib, very little 'drive' to get over the big chop, or get moving agian when you get stopped by the big ones, even when there was a little breeze.

SO...now my "Optimum Uni" would have a Jib of some sort. Wether you cut down the main, to add a jib, or just allow the standard jib to be used when Uni, I don't care which. But having a jib to help drive you over the humps that the motorboats throw at you would be very nice!

Oh, also, I kept count, I did lose at least two boats at every C gate, when there were groups of us there, due to not having enough hands to both drive and snuff at the same time... Several times I went in first in the group, and came out behind the others, as they were able to keep their speed up through the rounding while I was not.

When I was able to fly a hull downwind, and go lower, at the same speed the sloops were going (higher) I caught several boats on the runs, as I could sail a shorter course going deeper on one hull, than they could on two. If there had been a little more wind, I think I would have been more equal with them both upwind and down, but that miserable motorboat chop going upwind in light air, will stop a light, Mainsail only. boat very quickly.

Blade F16