Originally Posted by pitchpoledave
Also I think that the differences in speed are dependant on wind strength. At lighter winds the Uni might even have an advantage and in heavier winds its a larger disadvantage. Where is the cross over point?

At least to me the really light up wind is more difficult for cat rigged boat because you have to be really forward on the boat and you must choose if you look up almost backwards (trim the sail and see the tell tales) or forward (to look where you are going and what's happening around you). Things get easier when there is more wind because then it's easier to trim the main based on flying the hull without looking it and concencrate on what's happening around you. For two man boat it's easier, the skipper can see the jib and drive based on that while looking forward and the crew can handle the main. Things are bit different when going down wind, generally the two man boat can always trim two sails at the same time, but there is definetely some times in lighter winds when the uni F16 is a rocket at least when comparing to the F18's which are the only cat's that I've sailed against.

Valtteri Blade F16