Ah but very true.

As we are in the " F16 " forum and I did ask the question.

5m x 2.3m wide, quite a bouyant hull form not unlike the latest Nacra F16 which seems to skid across the surface with its bow ( and hence shorter water line length )well out of the water with only 1 on board, A class style rig 8.5m high ( without limits on the Leech length on the main ), 13 - 14 sqm main and 2.5 sqm blade jib. 16sqm spinny weighing in at 100 kilos. 6 degree angled boards.

With a change of the rig and sails it could be used for adult dual handers, leave it as it is for light weight dad and nipper. Sorry but the mast stiffness and aspect ratio of the sloop sails are just not suited to the lighter RM of the single hander.

Why the jib, I think we are all pretty much in agreement that the jib just makes setting the main just so much easier for the non expert sailor that with a jib on 75% of sailors will get to 75% of the efficency of the mainsail pretty quickly. Yes a Uni would be faster but only that top 25% of sailors will get the best out of them.If we don't run a jib then we may as well just buy a Shadow X http://www.shadowsailing.org.uk/the_boat_x.htm very very fast boat if you are around the 75 kilos with a strong class association and organised races, actually I'm surprised that 1 or 2 haven't been entered into F16 events already particularly if the wind looks like getting up. The shadow was originally only 90 kgs, not sure how fitting a pole and slightly larger sail takes them up over 100kgs, mmmmmm

SCHRS handicapping puts unreal expectations on the jib, a boat like the above would handicap out faster than a Tornado, simply unrealistic and thus one would have to go almost directly to an A Class rig with 17.5 sqm spinny ( which I think would be too large for the average single hander )

A dedicated 16 footer, simply chop off the rear of a DNA and move the beams and boards slightly foward, fit a 16 m spinny in a dedicated Y beam snuffer ( to keep the wind drag down ), A rig and C boards, about 90 kgs.

After 5 years of on the water testing on the Stealth and now Bitsa, thats where I have got to.