I currently have a Hobie16 but I wanted to add my thoughts on this subject, as I am researching what boat I would like to get next. Honestly I think the H16 is dated technology, nothing wrong with it, but I would like to get into a more modern platform for racing, etc.

My choice will be about flexibility. Often I can't find a lightweight crew (lady) for racing so I don't go, as single handed H16's are not allowed. I'd like to have some of my heavier friends (guys) crew for me, but why bother, as the combo would be to heavy and we'd be uncompetitive.

So its down to F18 (flexible for heavier crews with different sail and weight choices) or the F16 where I can plan on going to a race even if I can't find a crew.

For me its about being able to race, simply put. The less classes the better, don't mess with that part of it. If you separate the classes into two, then you get rid of the main appeal of the F16 to me as a consumer, being able to race both configurations. If that is going to be the case, then I'll change my choices to A-cat or F18.

If you separate into two classes, then it won't be long until there are F16 2-up regatta's only, or regatta's where there are not enough solo's to have a class, etc.

It would be better to tweak with the specs of the boat to ensure equality with the two configurations. I agree with the poster who said the boat's now been out long enough that perhaps some tweaking is needed.

2014 Hobie 16
1995 Hobie 16