I disagree with the statement that the sailing groups do a good job of self promotion. We suck! When was the last time you saw a blurb about a catamaran race in a major magazine? Results? Announcements? There's no followup on events - even the 16 Worlds. (Just go to the web site today - it still looks the way it did the last day of the event - 8 months ago!).

Matt, I hope you don't think it was me who said fleets do a good job of self-promotion. They do an absolutely terrible job! But all the things they could and should do have been discussed over and over. Many of the fleets, as I said, do make good efforts at projects to get new members -- like having learn-to-sail days, take-a-ride days, fun days for at-risk children, forming alliances with Sea Scouts in their area, bring-a-novice-crew races, bring-a-kid days, put-a-woman-on-the-helm races, holding charity events, etc., etc.

But self-promotion is the missing link. I have written a number of articles about how to get publicity for a fleet. It seems like the problem is finding a person in the fleet willing to write stories and take pictures and submit them to publications.

For every event we host in the Keys, Rick always writes an advance story for the five local newspapers, and after the event he immediately sends them a followup story with a couple of pictures and the results. If a local person trophies, we make sure the papers know that. Most of the papers use everything Rick sends them, usually verbatim, and they use the photos in color.

I have gotten major publicity in Sailing World for the Hobie Waves. Sail Magazine is going to have a story about the Key Largo Steeplechase, and Sailing World is doing a feature story in their next issue, I believe, about long-distance catamaran racing.

I think Sailing World, in particular, has done a pretty good job of giving fair coverage to catamarans, considering what a small percentage we are of the one-design racing world -- and also considering that they are probably not exactly bombarded with articles from fleets. And what about the Hobie Class Association? Does HCA send articles to the major sailing magazines about all the major Hobie regattas -- Worlds, North Americans, Regional Championships? Maybe Bob Merrick could be in charge of this kind of thing -- he does a great job with the writing.

For my part with Catamaran Sailor, and I'm sure for you with the HCA News, it is very frustrating. I get numerous e-mails telling me about upcoming regattas, and then I get almost zero e-mails after the regatta with story and pictures.

P.S. Sorry, I had to give up trying to stay on topic for this thread.