Beside the Mosquito's I think the Arrows did something similar.

I'm not trying to start a revolution here but how about walking up to Hobie US and claim that it is in their interest to GIVE you the old dyes (moulds) for free as compensation for discontinuing to "do" the H17, TheMightyHobie18, H20. Afterall the dye (mould) has already been payed for and is not of any use to them any more as they won't be ordering any new batches. You probably have to rename the design but that is no biggy. Just call it the MidWest-20 and be done with it.

The alu extrusions are not the difficult or expensive part. Producing new hulls will be. But I seem to remember that the Mosquito class even owns a set of moulds.

Of course this all will ONLY work when the H17, TheMightyHobie18, H20 sailors can organise themselfs into a strong class organisation outside of the IHCA. With class officials willing to really get into "class work".

Others have done it, so therefor you guys can so too. It just takes a can-do mentality and the willingness of the boat owners to invest in their own futures. It will certainly be something else then transferring your IHCA membership fee once a year and pontificating about 100.000 boats sold.

So the real question will be how strong these owners love their boats and how willing they are to go the extra mile and make it survive as a class.

But I can tell you that if these guys succeed at this that the enjoyment of being part of the surviving class will be heaps more. You'll be proud of what all the members of the class will have achieved by working together and nobody will able to take that away from you. That is a great rush.

I say; go for it !

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 06/28/07 11:24 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands