This physical constraint also makes setting long enough weather legs impossible, and higher than national average wind speeds prevail on the plains from the Gulf to the Canadian border. I said earlier it seems there's a kite allergy, better stated, the time and effort in setup (when traveling to events) and short/er legs doesn't seem worth the "hassle", added to the fact we're talking about (as Stephen aptly put it) weekend warriors.

I never understood this particular problem and I think many people see problems were none are to be found.

Take for example the setup up time of a Hobie wave. How much faster is that then say uni-rigging a F16 or F18/Tiger ? Even with the latter two ONLY having the mainsail fitted, which will be faster and more enjoyable. The Wave or the uni-rigged F16/F18 ?

How much more work it is to sloop rig (no spi) either boat compared to the H20 or TheMightyHobie18 ?

I have my lazy days as well and often I sail my own boat with just the mainsail. I have even done that several times with 2 or 3 persons on board. The boat takes it in its stride, powers along nicely although at a somewhat slower speed (but not much slower).

Why can't these midwest guys just pick a modern boat, one with a trusted future, and just agree among themselfves how it will be raced at this or that event.

Then with respect to lakes. A normal race course is about 1 mile long and roughly 1/2 mile wide. All of the spi crews can work that big sail inside that box, several of us even singlehanded. So how small are your lakes, anyway ? I figure most aren't THAT small.

High winds then, what are we talking about here ? sustained 20 knots and higher regulary ? If not then these lake sailors are not getting more then us Aussies and Dutchies. With the latter getting confused seas thrown into the mix as well. If they are all pulling spis in that (even when singlehanding) then why not not these lake sailors ?

I strongly believe some of these lakes sailors we are referring to are just looking for reasons to not have to see the obvious.

If a lake is large enough, the winds low enough and the crews willing enough to handle Hobie 18's and Hobie 20's then why should there be any reason to not sail a Nacra-20, F18/Tiger or a F16 without the spi and spi gear ?

If that is still too much (I wouldn't know why) then just sail those boats without a jib.

Several of us are doing that regulary in the F16 class and therefor so can you guys. I'm sure it can be done with the F18/Tigers as well.

And if ever you get to the coast or a big lake with a weekend regatta then you can throw everything on get busy ! Can't do that with a Wave for example.

Remember you can always easily downgrade a fully fitted boat, but not easily upgrade a resort boat.

Just whatever you do pick a boat that has a future in Europe as all other are likely to vanish over the next couple of years.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 06/29/07 01:08 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands