WOW what a marathon!
I have been a catsailor in Australia for thirty years. I have been a Hobie dealer for more than half of those. I've seen the boom and I've seen the bust. Things here appear similar to how they are in the USA.
People still love catamaran SAILING but they increasingly couldn't give a rats rectum about catamaran RACING. Maybe that is because the racing fraternity is full of painfully opinionated people who bleat on, with utopian ideals?
Right now I can't get enough used Hobie Cats. Everybody wants one but no one turns up to racing regattas.
Over the years, I've conducted youth training and regattas. I have sponsored and run many racing clinics. I formed the F18 class here. Our racing numbers are still declining.
I am glad that I have a rotomold range of boats and sailing kayaks to sell and make money from, so that I can stay in business long enough for Catamaran racing to become popular again.(if it ever happens)
Instead of criticizing Hobie for choosing to run a business in a way so that it EXISTS in the future, may I suggest that some of you could use your energy to promote the sport.
Some plastic boats are recyclable