That is what the people are saying here...Hobie are making simple business decisions...and not taking responsiiblity for who they are, what legacy they have and what actually makes the World go around. It is time for business to understand that Ideal and quality trumps dollars and mediochrety every time. We look to people like Hobie for leadership and what do we get????Simple business decisions..it is the money mantra.
A chicken in every pot and a rotomold in every driveway.
If ever there was a reason not to encourage people into cat sailing it is this.
When I got my first cat it was a fibreglass PT, beater. That was 25 years ago and that boat is still a good little boat that sails fast and can be updated into a flyier. My boats since, while second hand have all had integrity until I have an excellent Hydra 16, Nacra 14 Squared and Taipan..... all still excellent sail boats and one is 25 years old......
vibrant shmibrant, Hobie reaks of midmanagement and design graduates. Rather than gettting rid of boat makers, get rid of a few people in the office.

Hmmm... How many Hobie 20's have you bought in the last 5 years to support the class? Get real - do you think that (insert any boat builder here) should spend money on a boat that has been not profitable for years and not likely to ever be, just in case you might want one in the future?

It would appear that you have *never* bought a new boat which makes it a bit rich for you to get up on your soap box. Bottom line - sailboat making is not charity. If you want a class to survive - buy the boats and without question they will keep making them. Unless you are prepared to dip into your own pocket then don't bitch when they move onto profitable lines.

Tiger Mike