Don't forget pain-killer manufacturers as sponsors. BC Powder is someone who might really like this event, as it's a smaller brand who may not have the power to sponsor, say VOR type stuff.

Please, no one call that "head on" place. I can't stand the commercials (although if any tag line sticks in my head, it's that friggin thing).

Do pre- and post- race parties have a sponsor restaurant? There should be "media day" at both venues and competitors and ground crew should agree to be available for stuff like that.

Does anyone run a travel agency or something like that who could help put together packages for the competitors? Would it help reduce overall cost by getting block rooms and/or better rates? How about containers for overseas competitors?

GPS people might want a piece of the action, and they can demonstrate how "extreme" their equipment is...

That Spot tracking thing was genius. I think that should be used in the DVD of the race, especially the little leg "wrap-up" and maybe some color commentary from the sailors (doesn't have to be during the event, but can be produced afterward in interview voiceover if needed)

Can the T-500 or sailor webpages highlight certain items during the race? Like the boats, line, sails, GPS, emergency equipment, clothing, etc.? That's good advertising ROI for sponsors... BK and SA have great ability to do little 5 minute spots that focus on this stuff. It probably could be produced at any time during the year, too, with little snips from the actual event to save production time/cost.

And I agree with Pete; it's good entertainment, and I'm happy to buy some swag (whatever that means). Maybe a 50/50 raffle or "pick your horse" thing, too...

I guess the local media didn't really go crazy getting coverage at the layovers....

Would there be any interest in a "Taste of Tybee" series during the year, wherein people could sail a leg of the event? Local clubs could host it (so Chuck doesn't have to kill himself). Not only would it be good training for teams thinking of going the distance, but might generate interest throughout the year for the T-500. Maybe even have something like the Harken series for that?

Just brainstorming here...

Jay