I know of one instance when we rounded the last top mark in a very close third and Mike was on our heels. Competition for first place was pretty fierce, and we were setting up for a very competitive fight for the finish. I looked back and saw Mike driving very high to attack us. My skipper had words to the effect of "C'mon, you're not racing us." Mike gybed, which was the tactically smart move even if he'd been in a Portsmouth fleet.

Mike, if that is the sort of thing you are referring to, then I can see your frustration. I was one of those who said, "sure, let him sail with us." There was no other place for the RC to put you, really. I assumed, however, that you weren't racing us. It seems like you were just out for a sail and some practice. I assumed you understood that it was an important warm up for F18 North Americans. That was why I was laughing on Saturday afternoon when you looked back at us during one A-pin rounding and said, "NO ROOM." I thought, based on the above assumptions and the fact we were three boatlengths behind you, that you were making a joke. Instead, it sounds like you were quite serious and wanting to race anyone near you as if you were in a Portsmouth fleet.

It was a misunderstanding on multiple levels. I'm sorry, both for offending you and for speaking up at the skipper's meeting.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.