Originally Posted by Darryn

When I race at the club Mosquitos have there own start, we usually get 10 or so Mosquitos and often we are the largest class.

For example approaching windward mark on starboard tack with 200 metres to go and a Sharpie comes in on port, refusing to give ROW...

Rearranging the order of the starts doestn't fix the problem with races lasting 90 minutes...

...I'm talking about other classes blatantly ignoring the ROW rules because I am sailing a catamaran.

Darryn

Darryn,

That does make more sense. I think the approach with the best potential results is to discuss starts and courses with the OA/RC of your club. If you have a close racing within a 10 boat Mosquito fleet it would be a shame to give that up. It also seem like you might have some leverage with the club if your fleet is the largest regular class.

Possible changes you might request to minimize encounters with other classes include:
- Adjust the length/duration/number of laps per race
- Use a different marks/courses
- Adjust the order of the starts based on speed of fleets

[Any other ideas?]

It could be that the OA/RC is simply not aware of the issues or aware that they could fix them to some degree by tweeking things. I would guess that they would be very willing to work with you to minimize overlap between the fleets as it would keep more people happy and coming back - - - which leads to more celebration at the club afterward.

C-Class USA75