Originally Posted by chrisun
Originally Posted by HMurphey
You are trying to justify poor sportsmanship by some F18 racers just because Mike was not on a F18 but was officially in their class.

Harry Murphey

because he asked to start with the F-18s instead of with the (2 boat) Portsmouth fleet he was scored against no one.

Just to clarify...I never "asked" to be in the F18 fleet...I asked the RC what fleet I would be in....and was prepared to go with the H20 and the 3 or 4 TheMightyHobie18's...then there was a suggestion thrown out from the crowd to have the T race in the F18 fleet and seconded by several voices at the meeting (I presume F18 skips). As I've said, I was appreciative of that as it meant we'd be with the most similar performance boats.

At no point in the meeting was I asked/told to not actually race other boats. And it wasn't exactly clear what the scoring was going to be...I pointed out to the RC if they were thinking of handicapping the races, they'd need to time all the boats in the race and that would be a lot of effort..."just do what's easiest" I said. Then I heard someone suggesting to take my time & a boat or two ahead and behind me to work out the handicap. That's about where the meeting broke up and it was never spelled out precisely how it was going to work. After seeing the score sheet the next day it was clear I was separately scored.

This didn't change our approach...we were in the race, so we raced.

Mike Dobbs
Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"