it was a bad decision by the RC.

No, I still disagree.. it probably wasn't a bad call... would you have wanted to wait the extra 5 minutes so that the RC would start the lone Tornado on the long course? ... He paid his money as well... putting him on the short course would be no fun for him or the little boats either! His game was to sail the fastest he could around the track ... take his time and the first F18's and do his own math. You can't begrudge him that...
Everyone should have known that the Tornado is approx 59 and F18 approx 63... so about 3 minutes per hour difference. I would expect the Tornado to be in the mix around the course (The statment... No problem.. he will be long gone... means that they are very bad... or mike is very good or they are clueless). It probably took 5 to 7 minutes to finish the F18 OD fleet. Unless you paid extra for your separate start, I think the RC call was reasonable. We routinely have Hobie 17's (74 and and Hobie 18's (72) share the start line (10 to 15 boats) and race the same course and they are much closer in time.

Organizationally, The one issue is the OA who did not make the deal clear before anyone got in their car.... I would certainly not ding the PRO looking at the scratch sheet and going huh...what's the best way to maximize the fun factor for all of the racers.... not to mention safety concerns... putting the spin boat on the short course with the non spin boats would be err... less safe.

The second issue is bad sportsmanship... Pissing and moaning that he is on your course or in your way is just that bad sportsmanship (not saying that you were personally involved). JW related that Mike made the strategic move and jibed away in one instance... So the evidence suggests he was trying to go around the track as fast as he could.

The issue is one of expectations and sportsmanship... certainly not the judgment of the PRO.

crac.sailregattas.com