I think the original point was that the win was not a win for the F16 class but for an AHPC Viper. I was at the event and I know that the results were originally shown with the Viper on a F16 rating and it did NOT win.
Ultimately a great event, a great boat and even if it had sailed off 101 it would have been (I think) 3rd overall with one over the water clear victory.

This is a fair statement, I think.

And I would like to add that the original point on our side is that the F16 class was THE cause that lead to the development of the AHPC Viper-F16. AHPC themselves identify it as an F16 and the F16 class organisation has officially certified Vipers as class compliant (after measuring).

http://www.ahpc.com.au/Brett_Viper.htm

I know as it was one of my tasks as Chairman for the F16 class (2001-2006) to attract new F16 builders and I have had alot of contact with AHPC concerning this boat. It is a bit of a stretch to argue that the Viper isn't a F16 at all.

Other then that I think it is only a smart business move to market the Viper as both a Viper and a F16. Afterall, Hobie did that with the Tiger and nobody can deny its succes in doing so.

1st place or 3rd place; hell, either way a very good result in a 57 boat fleet with the likes of Will Sunnucks, Grant Piggot and anybody else who wanted to become the Nacra F18 UK champion for 2009.

The really interesting question is not whether the rating is off or whatever, but whether the team Sproat/Burke would have done better/worse on a F18 ? Whether the choice to go for a significantly smaller boat held them back at all ?

Even whether any other non-F18 designs like say the much hyped F17 or FX-ones would have seen them end up at the same scoring ?

Looking over the results and the fact that a change to a F18 handicap would only see them drop to 3rd overall, suggests very clearly that the Viper F16 design allows them to realize their talent and skill into impressive results among a fleet of their peers (who sail F18's for example).

And THAT, my friends, has always been the claim of the F16 class that is ones again proven by actual race results

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands