Think you misread my post Aido. Didn't talk about a moth gantry to start with, referred to a moth centreboard. Wouter referred earlier to how a Dutch company made extremely strong boards for a reasonable price, and as making a similar observation to how other classes are making light and strong boards. Seen the Viper ones break in Singapore, plus they chip really badly along the trailing edge, and saying they can be improved.

If you read the F18 rules you can understand why they do particular things. There is a maximum weight for the boards, so they build the boards to the maximum weight. There is a maximum weight for the platform, so they build the platform up to that weight. Heavy beams is part of this heavy platform package. Saying (and just my opinion) that moving heavy F18 beams made for a particular F18 package may not translate across to a lighter F16. There are potentially alternatives.

And moths break a lot as there is no minimum weight so you go to the edge of what is possible. If you can get away with it, even better.

My post didn't refer to going all carbon spare the expense approach.