For a singlehander I have to agree as the Viper is a just a MUCH bigger/ heavier boat then the Taipan. cool Also those dagger boards are always getting in the way (as evident) but this is not an issue with the Taipan. grin

Originally Posted by mikeborden
I'm not trying to sturr the pot, but I was there at the GC and have some ideas of the boats weighed...

The only boats that I can remember that made the minimum was the Taipan and the Blades....

All other boats were a little over, while the Falcons being closer to the min than the Vipers....

My boat weighed right at 129kgs...Viper 132.

In my opinion...

I think the minimum weight should be left alone...As you can see I have one of the heavier boats and I don't care how much the boats weigh, of course that's within limits here. smile

The box rule is there and this is a semi development class, more so than the F18, but not quite the A-class...

Now, if it starts to turn out like the A-class where something becomes astronomically expensive or something new that makes the boat a whole shitload faster, then maybe we need to rethink the rules. But, even the A-class hasn't made any astronimical strides in the last few years. Hec, even the banana boards haven't made the "older" boats obsolete. Hell, you can get a good A-class that's a few years old, throw a new sail on it, and be competitive....

I was the only singlehander Viper there and I was slow...So tell me, is it the heavy boat or the skipper?

I might just sell my boat and get an older Taipan so I can be faster on the course, cause it's lighter......I should be in the front of the pack, right? cause it's lighter? Right?

Or maybe, just maybe, it's the skipper?

smile

Mike

"House prices have risen by nearly 25 percent over the past two years. Although speculative activity has increased in some areas, at a national level these price increases largely reflect strong economic fundamentals." – Ben Bernanke – 2005