However, don't you think that if one F16 design become overly numerous, there is more chance for it to go OD?

A formula class always runs that risk.

However, it doesn't matter much whether that risk is small or large as there is almost nothing a formula class can do about it. In fact, it can even be debated whether it should want to do anything about it. It will only risk upsetting its dedicated base over the uncertain assurances of a group that is already considering leaving the fold.

The only thing a formula class can do is keep its own house in order and make participation in its events attractive. Each individual boat owner will then decide for himself what he finds most attractive. Indeed, a formula class and an OD class can also co-exist harmoniously. It doesn't have to be split. Many F18 designs hold their own OD championships and it doesn't appear to impact negatively on the F18 class.

I feel that the only real threat to a formula class is when the number of builders committed to it drops down to only 1, then you get a hostile take over as was the case with the F20 class. However, most of the time the company doing the take-over distroys his own prospects in the process. Members of a formula class generally don't take well to a change over to very strict OD rules forcing them to buy everything from a single overprized supplier. Especially not when before some date they could source their stuff from whatever supplier they prefered.

In fact this is an interesting viewpoint altogether as at this moment the F16 class is alot more likely to degrade to a single builder by raising the min weight then by NOT raising the minimum weight. Three out of four F16 builders do NOT support raising the minimum weight and most certainly not to the level of the current Viper. I don't see how upsetting three builders to carry favour with one other builder would at al improof the position of the class, no matter how many members that particular builder may find on his side.

Would this be a different situation than the one you describe with the Blade sailors in nederlands? And if so, would you agree that the risk of vipers going OD is increased compared to other F16 design?

To be honest I think there is too much huffing and puffing on account of the Vipers. Note that I do not say that the Viper owners themselves are doing much of that. I don't think the numbers of Vipers sold warrant any strutting around just yet.

Sure the past GC saw a large contingent of Vipers; there were 10 of them out 24 participants. That is still a majority of non-vipers when also noting that these 10 Vipers were previously Alter Cup boats and available for charter at this GC. I don't think there are currently more then 15 Vipers in the whole USA.

Personally, I don't think the owners of the Viper are at all interested in a Viper OD class; there is none on the horizon. I think they bought the Viper because they liked the package it offered as a F16 and don't fuzz over its ready-to-sail weight. I think they got the right end of the stick here.

I also don't see much effort on behalf of other F16's to go strict OD. I think the vast majority understand that we are strong when we are united.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 11/18/09 08:04 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands