Hi Wouter,

I really don't want to have a polemic discussion, or a comparaison of this one is better, this one is heavyer ...there's no interest for that.
Like i'm professional, after I take volontary exemple on AHPC boats i sell, for nobody outside could be feel ofensed.

there's some facts :

A Taipan haven't be devellop for Spi.
Add a spi and few years of experiences on cat design : the shape, volume and stifness of hulls and platform need to be increase.
Viper was developed on these bases.
Like they haven't the same specifications at the begining, a Taipan and a Viper couldn't made the same weight with similar build, at the end it's evident.
So for made a Viper at the weight of Taipan, Viper should be really more expensive than Taipan with an more high tech build.
That's all, there's no polemic around that.

The 2 boats are agree with F16 rules, and sail together in F16

The 2 boats like "production boat" haven't the same rating because their data are differents.
A rating is calculate only on data, there's no adjustement if it's an old or new design, a bad or a very good design ...
so calculator said Viper is slower than Taipan.

All that for me is correct, and need no change.

In A class, build a 75 kg boat with glass hull is possible, no problem, i had an AJ under 75 kg.
Why racer buy all carbon hulls ?

In F18 180 kg is a confortable weight.
It was easy in the past to have boat at 180 kg or a little under.
with new design ...some of them have difficulties for stay at 180 kg, at world boat with weight corrector isn't a lot.
Why ?

After for give some numbers ...

(sorry if power ratio isn't the good term in English but i think you'll understand)

power ratio of an
A class is 340 kg/m
F16 1-up (103 kg) 395 kg/m
Viper 1-up 415 kg/m
F16 2-up (107 kg) 630 kg/m
Viper 2-up (130 kg) 650 kg/m
F18 750 kg/m
Tornado 800 kg/m

Take an A class like references

for made an F16-1 up
power ration increase of 16 % and weight of 37% for a 103 kg boat.

for made an F16 - 2up
you increase power ratio of more of 80 %
but you increase weight of only 43 % for a 107 kg boat. (73% for a 130 kg boat).

Now take an F18 like references

for made an F16 - 2up
you decrease power ratio of only 16 %
but you decrease weight of 41 % for a 107 kg boat, (28 % for a 130 kg boat).

for made an F16-1 up
power ration decrease of 45 % and weight of 43% for a 103 kg boat.

volontary i don't want give my conclusion about ..

My view is only a 25 or 30 K€ boat full carbon, and full victory should accept with smile by the class ?