Hi Wouter,

I really don't want to have a polemic discussion,

Sailfast, all technical issues have been well researched when we started the F16 class back in 2001. This situation is as it is and has been justified many times over since then. Argueing against well established truths is pointless in my opinion.

Since 2004 I personally have a Taipan 4.9 (widened to 2.5 mtr) with a spinnaker and I'm prefectly happy with that design so far. I disagree with anybody who claims that the Taipan can't handle a spinnaker; indeed I experienced more violant pitchpoles while sailing the Hobie Tiger. My own boat uses no carbon fibre or anything and costed me 12500 to build and is still lighter then any Viper version. The reason why the Viper is as it is comes from commercial considerations only, not technical or even costs. It has all to do with available local building facilities, work force expertise and profit margins.

Lets not forget that my Taipan is just as much a viable F16 as the Viper F16 is. I haven't broken any major component yet (while being lighter then the Viper) and it was build by amateurs in a shed behind the house. As a result I don't understand why the min. class weight should be raised so as to DISQUALIFY my Taipan F16 in favour of making the younger Viper F16's look better on paper.

If a company builds a heavier F16 then that is their decision and their "issue" only. This is allowed under the F16 class rules but it is beyond imagination to ask the other class members/builders to disqualify themselves in deference to such a choice. Anybody still enjoying such an idea in his or her is adviced to make an appointment will a physician or neurologist.

Personnally, I feel the Viper is an excellent design that doesn't need any rewriting of the F16 class rules to be competitive or to be marketable to customers. Suggesting otherwise doesn't do the design justice and is higher disruptive to our great little F16 class. But I guess that is the exact intent of some posters here.

With respect to Nacra or Hobie not being able to build a real F16 ;

-1- That is not our problem, but their problem ! (Apparently even I as an amateur beat them on that)
-2- Explain why can Hobie build and market the 100kg or less carbon iCat but not a glass/alu 107-112 kg F16 ?
-3- What should the F16 min. weight be when not a single Nacra sloop rigged spinnaker boat was ever certified as being under 150 kg ready to sail ?

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands