Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Who said exclude individual sailors.

The international class could not put the worlds in your neck of the woods any time soon ...

They could reduce the slots your country is allocated on the initial deal. (Occasionally this will be important to you)

If they get sponsor money, they could direct it to regions that have supported worlds by attending in the past.... eg container subsidies.

They can reduce your voting rights or ability to submit proposals.

The basics... of I will come to your event... if you will come to my event hold...even at the world level.

I am not recommending any action... sounded like Paul was talking about a strong phone call or email or two.

The International class could do all of those things but will it promote the sport in the countries that receive the strongly worded email or stern phone call? Will that action move the agenda of class forward or will it alienate the up and coming countries from the class?

Sending an email or giving a stern phone call to a bunch of volunteers serves absolutely no purpose. This isn't an employee employer relationship you can't give volunteers ultimatums, the volunteer is always doing you favor and the volunteer holds all the cards and they and they alone will decide if they want to play or not.

Again, I really don't think it would be in the International class’s best interest to give the National classes a dressing down for not participating this year. Mark don't you think it would be a much better approach to send and email or make a phone call simply asking how the International class could help overcome the obstacles that keep some teams/countries from attending Worlds? The carrot really is the way to go don’t you think? This whole beat em with a stick approach reminds me a lot of another organization I'm involved with.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"