Originally Posted by David Ingram
Matt, you're a builder/supplier so naturally you will have a bias to a more relaxed rule environment. Which is another reason why I'm not totally comfortable with builders and sail makers on the F18 technical committee, it's a bit like having the foxes in the hen house.

It’s not a builder thing with me, I hate over specifying anything. I deal with this every day, where some rule writer felt they needed to be so thorough as to cover every eventuality; they totally missed the point of the rule in the first place.

There was a lot more behind the curtain relative to the Shockwave story, but he was wrong to not research first and at least submit a request. That is the rules and they are written, so have to be followed – I get it; no problem.

A better example is the current life jacket issue in the US. Yes we should require life jackets. But somebody felt they needed to be thorough, so they just could not end with “life Jackets will be worn” they had to include more words and they could not just say “certified” but had to go into even more detail on who’s type and cert would be followed. Now the more common brands for cat friendly vests are all CE branded and technically now illegal for use in many US events due to the over use of words.

Too many laws, too many rules and most are conflicting or useless. That’s my soap box issue of the day.

Tomorrow – Insurance
Day after – Stop lights