Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Mike, Anyone,

Why would you ask the RO (PRO?) to file the protest and not throw it back to the class member who raised the issue/inquiry and let him choose to file the protest?

Is this the proper role of the PRO to file the protest at the behest of the Class Pres?
Could the PRO have told the Class President to pound sand?
Should the PRO have told the Class President to pound sand?

Mark, it is spelled out here, with applicable rules even being cited: http://catsailingnews.blogspot.com/2011/08/f18-info-on-si-sails-issue.html

Here are the RRS references (you seem to have lost your book?)…

Last sentence of RRS 60.2:

However, when the race committee receives a report required by rule 43.1(c) or 78.3, it shall protest the boat.

(43.1 is in regard to clothing and weight, and does not apply here.)

78.3 When an equipment inspector or a measurer for an event decides that a boat or personal equipment does not comply with the class rules, he shall report the matter in writing to the race committee.

So, when the report came from the measurer (on Thursday), the RC was required to protest. Note, this is the ONLY rule in the book that requires an RC to protest.

To answer any of your other questions would take a lot of speculation on my part, and I don’t think that would help the situation at all.

From where I sit (and having seen some rather unpleasant protests and redress hearings involving IJs at major events), this type of stuff puts everyone in a pickle and there are rarely “good” answers.

Mike