The SI team sails were made lighter than normal customer sails, they were of a lighter (approved cloth) with smaller patching. There is no rule that defines the primary or secondary patching size, So why even call it patching, it might as well be decorative. Could have even put a vinyl sticker there. The mistake SI made was by using something that was supplied by a sailcloth manufacturer.

As i said in my initial post: the sails were using cloth that was not on the main and jib approved list, and that was wrong for sure. My issue is with how it was dealt with and also why other more serious breaches of the current rules were left alone.

The last line of Martin's post (F18arg) says it all: "If a cloth not on the list, it is an ilegal sail, end of discussion. (Applied to any loft of course)"

Now all you F18 sailors, go and have a look at the your tack, head and clew of your kites, under the kite cloth. The patching in most of them (i'm not going to name lofts, but its the majority) is illegal. There is dacron patching in the corners and if anyone can find dacron on the cloth list for Spi's then you can keep using your kites. Again: those in glass houses smile

Last edited by macca; 08/02/11 01:04 AM.