Originally Posted by pgp
If you want a heavy 16 footer, Hobie has one for you.

History if full of heavy 16-17 boats that have gone nowhere.

I am not sure what need is satisfied by the internet trolls who feel a constant need to bash the F16 rule set. If you do not like it, there are plenty of other options. The F16 class has had steady and consistent growth. The attraction being predominantly light weight performance and versatility. People buying into the class by far are not the serious race group, but those who see an advantage in what the F16 rule set has to offer over some of the other classes.

The 16 is definitely a performance boat, but with less sheet loads and great response. The boats are capable of being driven nearly equivalent in around the course speed to the larger boat classes like the F18. In what world would this be considered a stepping stone? Its performance is already there, so even in “youth programs, it is really set up as an advanced step for better teams moving to multihulls not beginner multi racing.

We have now a premier 1 up and a 2 up multihull class racing in the A and F18. IMO, there is not really the participation to support more than 1 elite racing class with huge worldwide participation, in either. The 16 is attracting performance junkies and the local and club racing teams who by and large race like I do, with my wife and kids and stay more or less local. Here there is a place and nitch. The elite F18 teams are 2 young guys by and large. Although it’s there, no one at the top races small sail plan. Why is there no large outcry about separating the F18 class to eliminate the sail plan issue if they cannot seem to compete? Because it’s a class decision and not an open forum debate, same as F16 rules. There is a place for racing where mixed teams, youth etc can go, compete and have fun. The uni guys are there and doing what they love. This is the F16. If you want to be serious then go for it. If the weight matters then, same thing.

The debate here is about weight and why anyone would purposely buy or build an extreme over weight boat. I would be happy to discuss 1 on 1 with anyone the design and manufacturing issues associated with boats and how they impact costs, performance etc. 90% of the opinions espoused here do not hold any value. If someone wants to buy a heavy boat then it obviously does not matter to them, or they want to play the handicap ratings game and flop between 16 and 104. If they wish to buy a lighter boat then there are options available for that too.