I am not sure what need is satisfied by the internet trolls who feel a constant need to bash the F16 rule set. If you do not like it, there are plenty of other options.

Hey... this thread started when NACRA built a boat that does not come close to the min specs of the rules and joined the Viper. Nacra built a boat that measures in. Time will tell if it out-performs the other designs in 2 up mode. (I hope it does just as well and not a bit more) People then asked WHY?

IMO, pretending that one up and two up configurations are really the same class is a fundamental problem of the rule set.

Conflating the marketing of F16's... hey you can use this one platform in either configuration... with... This is a FORMULA CLASS that promises a level playing field is a real problem.

In my book... when you spend 20k and take a weekend of time to go racing... you are serious... so... I disagree with your basic premise... there are also Serious RACERS on Hobie 16, 17, 18's plus A class and F18's and a few other regional classes. But they have rules that have integrity and are proven to work. Why do you want half butt rules for F16's? I suspect that one up sailors don't want to be running their own class because the critical mass for a single handed spin class may not be there... but that problem is solvable!

The min boat weight issue is really a builder issue in my book. In two up mode... I don't really care... I just don't want my choice to be slower. The race course will sort out the design choices within the formula box. As you correctly note... you now have three real option[/quote]s and your mileage will vary.

But until the class fixes the obvious flim flam (one up equals two up).... I would not use the word "integrity" and F16 rules in the same sentence.

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 09/14/11 01:50 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com