What about crew weight? Let's talk about that.

This is a complete red herring... but If you must....

The F18 class DOES talk about crew weight and has two sail configurations. Wouter and the founders considered and rejected crew weight solutions for F16. They made an explicit decision that open sail shape would be enough of a level playing field. Most sailors have decided that custom sail shape is the game they write rules for and put into the class rules to define the game to play. (your move if you want something else)

THIS IS THE POINT.... The class rules define the game.. We understand Formula xxx class to mean the boats measure in and compete on a level playing field with boats that are equal in performance. The F18's have that kind of racing with boats from several builders.... It took a few years for the world to believe and accept that premise. The F16's one up and two up make this same claim. So... Do the F16 rules pass this level playing field test?

Hans wants a practiced single handed sailor to race a two up team of the same skill. My point would be... Why bother... To race around buoys... the one up sailor is playing a very different game with two less hands on the boat. So, do you think it's fair to the two up teams racing each other to go into a tight gate rounding with a single hander who has to put the stick down to snuff the chute? If he has rights and is just slow and interferes with the second of the two up boat.... Is this the right game to play?... In handicap and level racing... this situation is absolutely part of the game. In Formula racing.. it's a problem! Just because the equipment looks the same does not make it the same game!... Hans mentions the windspeed differences and how they effect the sailor and boat as yet another critical difference. Having a class rule that pretends that apples are oranges despite the obvious differences is a problem.

Finally this is Wouters point... Hey.... the sailors who race F6's choose to ignore the problem and want to race even up... They don't want to be split off.
And being guaranteed to be a full participant and not being an afterthought with a separate mini-course.
. The sailors want to look at the results any way they wish. Don't bother us with the technical details of our flim flam in the class rules.. I get it... I personally keep score of all A class sailors over 200 lbs.... my personal fat boy score! But I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO PUT IT IN THE CLASS RULES!

It is not mandatory to score the fleet as one fleet, every organisor may break out the results separately.

Nope!..... the OA follows the class rules for a NOR that declares this a class race... they could in theory be protested if they split this out... The class rules state that one ups are racing two ups. It's the fundamental nature of the competition. (This stops all of the BS... Hey... don't cover me... I am not racing you....I am single handed)

Do you REALLY WANT A WORLD where the OA can decide what the racing is for your class? OA's dont want to bother with yours or any class's internal rules.... They just want to follow your class rules and run the race. The OA's protest committee wants to resolve any disputes with a copy of class rules in front of them.

The simple solution is one class for two ups (F16)... one class for 1 ups (F16 1 ups). When you want to schedule a race with heads up racing... create a new class that combines the two ... Level 16's! and have the OA run that race according to those new class rules.

crac.sailregattas.com