Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Your explanation of the way the new market place works is not very promising to me to get much better rates since most insurance companies prices don't seem to be that different and I guess the highest deductible is 5,500 bronze plan.

There is a reason for this.... the ACA capped your out of pocket medical expenses for a year at I think around 7 or 8 K.... So the 10 K deductable is not relevant post ACA.

Now, if you don't get really sick or injured you won't come close to the cap... The key difference is that you are buying more insurance and have less cash for general medical service. YMMV and will depend on your circumstances in the future (get sick or injured or not).

Again, If you had more insurance companies doing business in your state... You would have more choice in what your current insurer reformulated to meet the new regulations. This of course is a chicken and egg problem... Had we had more choice in the private markets...and structures to make delivery more efficient and the right amount of health care delivered at the right time we would not have needed the ACA. Health care is not like any other market.

All true Mark except I am not buying more insurance I am just paying more than double what I was. Both plans pay 0 until the deductible have been met. Yes the new deductible is lower so the out of pocket is lower, but at double the cost. There should be a plan for people that just want insurance to cover a life changing issue. How can it be called the Affordable Care Act when it is costing me more than double what I was paying?