Originally Posted by Undecided
Originally Posted by catman

No, We are Stupid. It represents us.....right?

I don't think you can claim that it represents us anymore. In any case, I don't see the shutdown as a bad thing. For 95% of the population, nobody is going to notice a damn thing. Maybe it will get people to realize just how bloated and inefficent the whole boondoggle is.

Here's something ripe. Want to go fishing during the shutdown? Sorry - the feds have close the Florida Bay. Yes. All of it.

Give me a ****ing break - the gal of the feds to think that they're so ****ing important to society that they have to close the Bay down to commercial traffic lest all hell break loose.... in reality thats not it... this is just more of the same "make it artificially hurt so that people put pressure on the opposition to cave on their constituents."

Charter guides received a message from the National Park Service this week informing them that they are not permitted to take clients fishing in Florida Bay until the feds get back to work. That means that more than 1,100 square miles of prime fishing is off limits between the southern tip of the mainland to the Keys until further notice.

The closing affects not only fishing guides, but anyone with a license to conduct business in the park, including tour operators and paddling guides — anyone with a Commercial Use Authorization permit, said Dan Kimball, superintendent of Everglades and Dry Tortugas national parks.

Biscayne National Park is also off limits. Enforcement rangers will be on duty, Kimball said.

Regardless, this shutdown is costing hundreds of millions of dollars. On Sunday congress said passed a measure that would pay for govm't employees on furlough, i.e they are getting paid despite the fact that they aren't working. So at the end of the day, the taxpayer is getting fucked, and non-government employees like myself that rely on govm't contracts are about to get hit hard. Let's see how Wall Street takes it when 300,000 Lockheed Martin, 200,000 Boeing, 100,000 L3 etc. employees can't go to work because their contract checks aren't being written.

They are your representatives, WE voted them into power. ~95% of American's think they're congressman/woman are doing a great job for them, and it's the other representatives that are to blame. FAIL. Every single Representative and Senator should:

A) Immediately loose their paycheck upon failing to pass an actual budget (which hasn't been done for some # of decades, and is the primary reason congress exists).

B) If the budget isn't passed within the next session, every member of that congress is no longer eligible to run in the following election.

The cycle needs to be broken. Also, strict budgets on campaign spending need to be set and enforced. All additional money in the form of lobbying etc. needs to be outright banned from politics. Wake up and smell the roses people, it's major corporations that make the decisions in this country, not us.

O'Care did absolutely nothing to reduce the average per person cost of health care. All they did was steal more money from the middle class and use it to pay for the uneducated, poor man's health care, leaving us with less money to fund our children's rising education costs. Hence, the gap between the poor and the wealthy continues to spread. Please see Greece. Or add to that the fall of the Roman empire, we are repeating history in so many ways on that one.

These fuckers need to drop the healthcare issue, get the government started, then ****ing sort out O'Care. They need to force cost reduction measures in healthcare. Reducing the salary of nurses and doctors isn't how it's going to happen. It's getting the insurance companies to take a 10% cut in profits that is required. Doctors are getting fucked by them (mine left and went to Africa 3 years ago because the insurance was getting outrageous), we're paying out the butt for it, and who's getting rich?? Hit the drug companies hard too, those fuckers are raking in BILLIONS at our expense.

Plan B: kiss it all and move to the islands.

Last edited by samc99us; 10/07/13 08:49 AM.

Scorpion F18