So I wonder if insurance is the right program to cover health care. We all know lots of people who've never filed an auto or HO claim but I doubt we know anyone who's never been to the Dr.

This is precisely the point.

Why the hell do we have "insurance" for Health Care?

What we have today isn't "insurance" - its a shared pool of resources out of which the administrator takes his pound of flesh. Its almost communist in nature - no wonder its falling apart.

So why don't we have market-based cost controls put into place - by outlawing anything but catastrophic coverage. When the people actually have to price-compare their choice of doctor, like they do for where they eat, where they sleep, and other basic necessities of life - then you'll start seeing these megalithic health care corporations scrambling to find every bit of efficiency out there as they have to compete with all the other healthcare providers out there.

Please note that I say this as the spouse of doctor. A system like this would more than likely drop doctor compensation overall - but it wouldn't be artificially imposed. It would be as organic as the free market system.

(And before the bleeding hearts start jumping down my throat bemoaning the lack of heart I have for the poor - there would be a safety net with healthcare "foodstamps")