Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

Again, If you had more insurance companies doing business in your state... You would have more choice in what your current insurer reformulated to meet the new regulations.

Yeah, that's been an issue in FL for decades. We have somewhat of a "unique" population which drives a pretty high loss ratio. That, and we're just one big happy boat of attorneys ( I think someone said FL is second only to CA in terms of litigation).

IIRC, there are three "players" (BCBS, United, Aetna) and two are much more expensive than the third. So really there is only one player.

I also suspect that this first period of enrollment will be "adverse selection" as the only people really paying attention to the ACA were those with healthcare needs. The young, healthy folk are tweeting about Justin Beiber and could care less about the old and infirm.

Since the employer mandate and individual fines are reduced or eliminated this go around, we'll probably see this ACA thing get off to a sputtering start which will add fodder to the political rantings on the radio. Again, show a better plan and let's talk. I think everyone agreed in principle that the status quo needed work.

Since we can't repeal or unfund the law without disaster/political brinksmanship at this point, I hope the program does indeed prove useful until we can find something better. And "Better" isn't just vetoing what we have. Please, smart people, put something together to present rather than just saying "that idea sucks".

I like as little government as possible, but I'm not one to cheer the failure of gov't just to make a point.

I feel for Carl; my annual plan costs about as much as his. I'm hoping that next year's renewal (ours was Sept) will see a little improvement in price as I'm banned from the exchange because my employer's plan "complies". It's high-deductible FSA thing, too.

Part of the reason for this plan's increase was the requirement to add maternity benefits to any female "of child bearing age". Really? Is 50 now considered "child bearing age"? And they cover fertility treatments as well... So now 50+ females who had their tubes tied in the 90's can be mommies. Do they realize they'll be 70 when that child gets to college (and needs money)?

Please tell every healthy young person you can find to sign up and pay their share or else this thing is sunk... In the meantime no one get sick or go kitesailing, skateboarding, etc. smile

Yay! Another Drill thread! Yippeee!

Jay