I didn’t really want to get into this, and it is all a total hijack of this thread, but I feel a little explanation needs to be forthcoming.
1. The F14 concept is not dead, it may be a little sluggish in realisation, but it is definitely not dead.
2. From the excess of 2000 DVD’s that I have sent out worldwide over the past 2 plus years, I have received nothing but very positive response regarding the existing F14 cats and the concept as a whole.
3. To my knowledge there are several projects currently in hand from enthusiastic sailers from various countries who are either in the process of or intend starting in the near future, constructing new 14’ cats to the F14 box rule formula, or are converting existing 14’ cats to fit within that formula.
4. Unlike the start of the F16, which already had a “base” of existing cats spread around the world which could either be readily converted to F16, or already did conform to the F16 dimensions and in so doing these cats created a substantial number already available and sailing to be incorporated under the umbrella of F16, the F14 was/is a concept that has had to start from a place where there wasn’t ANY existing 14’ cats that were similar enough and/or performance orientated enough to just be converted to F14
5. That lack of “convertible” 14’ cats meant that the F14 has had to start from scratch, and as every one knows, that means that it takes time and perseverance to follow such a project through to fruitiion. The last thing it needs is for some one with absolutely no connection to, or real interest in F14’s to shoot off at the mouth and say things like “The F14 is dead”.
6. As far as a “junior” cat is concerned, it is my belief that our current F14 in a slightly different configuration would make a perfect “trainer” for juniors. Firstly we could/would make it in “normal” glass with aluminium beams and a shorter mast with a smaller sail area, but still bring it in at under 90kgs (all up sailing weight), dramatically reducing the overall cost (possibly as low as $6000 or less) this would also have the benefits of lightweight for younger crews to handle on and off the water. The F14 is a very easy and responsive cat to sail as well as to right when ditched and I would estimate that a sailer weighing as little as 40 to 50 Kgs would have little difficulty in righting it single handed. The F14 is very buoyant and would have no problem with a crew of two juniors sailing competitively. Delete the spinnaker if so desired and sail cat rigged one up or with a crew for juniors or we could fit a small jib for two up junior sailing (we did this years ago with the Sundance 4.3)
I will just reiterate that the F14 is not dead it is just going through its embryonic stage – it may take another year, it may take another 5 years but I think that it will make it.