Originally Posted by Phillip
Great post, keep it going.

I intend to wink
was beginning to wonder if anybody was actually reading it blush

Originally Posted by Phillip
Another area of failure with this generation of hulls was the centre decks. They failed over time because the (5) stringers were inserted directly into the top of the foam sub-frames.

Glad someone's onto it grin
The starboard hull main dech has a soft spot..... right about where my boney butt resides grin

I also posted earlier about the 5 stringers in the starboard hull...... the port hull only has 3 stringers under the main deck crazy
Starboard hull stringers (5 off) are 12mm x 8mm whilst the port hull's stringers (3 off) are 16mm x 12mm, the last owner (Matt) did replace one deck but he's forgotted as to which one, I'm guessing its the port hull as the internal work is much "fresher" in comparision.

Plan at this stage is one of three choices .....

1/ replace the stringers in both hulls with 16mm x 12mm and splash some extra glass over them to aid the foam sub-frames....

2/ make from 3mm ply a 'plate' that runs verticly from hull side to hull side and glass that onto the foam, then cut the top to the deck curve and rebate it aswell for the stringers..... this plate would only be 75mm deep

3/ full "I" beam the main deck..... cut the damaged foam so that its straight from gunwale to gunwale, slide in a 3ply crossmember (~40mm in width), cut a verticle 3ply and shape one side to profile the deck and glass in.... cut stringer slots and fit stringers, then lay a 3rd strip of ply over the verticles.

Option 1.... simple, straight foward quick and easy. Prone to failure eventually is the main drawback.... dont want to do this again mad
Option 2.... little bit longer in the repair side of things but should outlast the rest of the boat cool
option 3.... super strong, it really doesnt need the stringers fitted at all, bloody slow process to make all the "i" beams and fit them tho, and the biggest plus is that both sides of the hull are tied together through the "I" beam, thus strengthening the area along the tramp line
wink

I have 8 lengths of 16mm x 12mm stringers all ready cut, if I go with option 2 I belive I can drop it to 4 stringers per deck, remembering that the deck with 5 has failed and the deck with 3 is fine....

The internal part of the crack repair at this stage is completed with pics to follow shortly, the undamaged hull has also had the same re-inforcing plates added and is also completed..... work on the main deck starts tommorow

Thanks for the links too......

Kingy

Last edited by Pirate; 06/09/13 01:52 AM.

Yar, & this ere post be done without a sin'le drop o' rum passin' me lips

Kingy
started with Impara Cadet #3 / Mosquito #245
& now Mosquitos #1182 & #1740